Saturday, April 28, 2012

First Believe, Then You Will See...

Watching the fireBRANDS playing their respective games in the recent Wave Challenge, I can’t help but reflect on my life, and how long a journey it was that I took with them.

10 years and 5 months I’ve been with the fireBRANDS, regularly attending Saturday night services at Air Itam. Can you imagine that? 10 years… Doesn’t seem like that long ago when I first stepped into Sanctuary 2 of Air Itam, attending my very first youth service. At the same time, it feels like it’s been forever that I was with the fireBRANDS.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6

I think often times we hear people say “have faith, follow God and trust Him, because He knows best…” or anything along those lines. Yes, it’s easy to say those words, but don’t we all agree following them is another story? I think most, if not all of us, would really want to do that. Deep down inside, there is that longing of just wanting to believe in God, who at many times seem very intangible to us.

Well, I think 10 years is sufficient enough for me to give you something tangible to believe those words…

You see, I strongly believed that my years spent growing up here with the fireBRANDS really defined who I am today. Not directly because of the fireBRANDS, but rather because of how God has moulded me to become who I am today THROUGH the fireBRANDS.

I’m going to be really frank here. Many times it felt as though I’ve been “forced” into things. May it be the inevitable dramas of the teenage life, or even having to take up roles and responsibilities. And so often have I felt tired and just wanting to give up. Very often my friends… But I did what every Christian would probably say, “pray… leave it to God…” But what happens after that? To be honest, most often it felt like nothing did happened… in the short-run that is.

“You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.” – James 2: 20-24

So with those words, I held on… and do what I believed was right. So if I was given a role, I made sure I tried to do it with excellence (not perfection). If caught in the middle of some circumstance, I tried to “swallow instead of spit” even if I was branded foolish in the eyes of man. It’s painful process at times I must say.

Well, it wasn’t until I was studying for my degree that I realized, that I have an upper hand in many things (I’m not trying to boast here, so please don’t get me wrong. Just wanting to give you something tangible). :)

Because of the different roles and responsibilities, I found myself gaining many skills. Being a naturally quiet and shy person, I’ve learned to speak confidently (if not, for the most part la) in front of a large crowd etc. I’ve even picked up some management skills along the way, learning how to work with people, planning, organizing, coordinating, problem solving, etc… I even discovered talents I never knew I had.

More importantly, I think was the development of my character. I won’t say much on this because it’s not for me to judge, really. But with all that I’ve been through, held on and persevered, I believe I’ve matured well enough.

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1: 2-4

Again, don’t get me wrong. I still have much to learn. MUCH to learn. Now being in the working life for almost 8 months, I find many things I don’t have the answers to. But I’ll continue to stick to how I play my game... :)

So to end this uber long post, I’m thankful for the fireBRANDS because of how God has moulded me through the years with them. How long will I be serving in the fireBRANDS? It’s up to Him ;) So to all of you (if you’ve managed to reach this portion of my post), persevere! The thing about faith is you got to first believe, then you will see


From: Leroy

No comments:

Post a Comment